WE CURRENTLY HAVE NEARLY 1,000 LISTED ITEMS. TO DISPLAY ALL OUR AUCTIONS IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER (BY ARTISTS’ NAMES) ►
► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►
· BIG BROTHER AND THE HOLDING COMPANY WITH JANIS JOPLIN - CHEAP THRILLS – ULTRA-RARE ORIGINAL MONO PRESSING - ORIGINAL 1968 COLUMBIA RECORDS MONO LP KCL-2900
· ORIGINAL US PRESSING
· MONSTROUSLY RARE MONO PRESSING, MANY TIMES RARER THAN STEREO
· ORIGINAL RED COLUMBIA MONO LABEL WITH WHITE PRINT.
· THIS IS EXACTLY THE THIRD MONO COPY WE HAVE SEEN IN 37 YEARS OF COLLECTING– AND BY FAR THE BEST PRESERVED OF THE THREE
· THIS IS THE ORIGINAL, AUTHENTIC, FIRST U.S. PRESSING; THIS IS NOT A REISSUE, AN IMPORT, OR A COUNTERFEIT PRESSING.
· ORIGINAL GATEFOLD COVER, MADE OF THICK CARDBOARD (AMERICAN STYLE)
· THICK, HEAVY VINYL PRESSING
· CLEAN, WEAR-FREE LABELS
· ORIGINAL ROBERT CRUMB- ILLUSTRATED COVER: A TRUE CLASSIC.
· MATRIX NUMBER IN TRAIL-OFF VINYL (DEAD WAX) ENDS WITH '-1A/-1A'. ON SOME LABELS, SUFFIX '–1' DENOTES THE VERY FIRST, ORIGINAL PRESSING)
· MONO version of this album has NEVER been available on legitimate Compact Disc or in any other digital format. (YEAH, LIKE SONY/COLUMBIA IS GOING TO ACCORD US THAT CHEAP THRILL…)
(►PLEASE SEE THE IMAGE OF THE COVER, LABEL OR BOTH, SHOWN BELOW)
(Note: this is a REAL image of the ACTUAL item you are bidding on. This is NOT a "recycled" image from our previous auction. What you see is what you'll get. GUARANTEED!)
In one of the interviews, Sam Andrew, the original member of the BB&H/Co. characterized their music on this concert appearance as a "crazy, raw sh!t". Fair enough. We can't think of a single less polished and more crude, emotionally charged white electric/psychedelic blues album of the 1960's. And then, of course, there's that glorious voice of Janis Joplin. The lady sings her heart and guts and everything else out. The almost 9 minute long "Ball and Chain" with its torrents and mudslides of fuzz, feedback and all kinds of guttural sounds made by Janis Joplin is itself worth the price of admission. This is the defining moment of the Psychedelic Sixties and the first (to my knowledge) psych album to ever reach the #1 spot on Billboard's top list of albums. Mono pressing? Forget it – it’s a sight unseen. This is the first, the one and the only copy we’ve ever seen.
And, oh…did we forget to mention the timeless, groundbreaking ► cover artwork that is still, 36 years later, a joy to behold. Track listing: Combination of the two - I need a man to love - Summertime - Piece of my heart - Oh Sweet Mary - Ball and Chain - Turtle Blues
For its extraordinary contribution to the contemporary music, superb production, craftsmanship, fine musicianship, revolutionary significance and influence it exerted on numerous generations of musicians, songwriters and general public, or for some other inherent quality, this album was voted one of top-200 albums of all time in one of the largest poll of critics, music reviewers, show business professionals and producers ever organized: the poll, which was conducted by Paul Gambaccini, the legendary BBC Radio A&R man, surveyed more than 50 top music professionals (including Roy Carr, Jonathan Cott, Robert Christgau, Cameron Crowe, Chet Flippo, Ben Fong-Torres, Charlie Gillett, Greil Marcus, Murray the K., Lenny Kaye, Bruce Morrow (a/k/a "Cousin Brucie"), Tim Rice , Lisa Robinson, Robert Shelton, Ed Ward, Joel Whitburn, Pete Wingfield, etc.). For more details, see: "Critics Choice: Top-200 albums" , Omnibus Press, Library of Congress Catalog No.7855565 (or ► for the complete album listing)
For additional historical or discography information on this album, including track listing ►
TO SEE IF WE HAVE OTHER LISTED ITEMS BY THIS GROUP OR ARTIST ►
THIS IS A NO-RESERVE AUCTION!
(IMPORTANT NOTE: unless otherwise noted, ALL records are graded visually, and NOT play-graded!; we grade records under the strong, diffuse room light or discrete sunlight)
(a) WE GRADE THE VINYL AS STRONG VG++. A few light abrasions (mostly just sleeve scuffs inflicted in storage over the years) ARE VISIBLE, but they appear fairly insignificant relative to the overall condition of the vinyl, and are only moderately visually distracting. For most part, the vinyl looks impeccable, without any MAJOR visual flaws or imperfections. Much of the original luster is intact, and the vinyl shines and sparkles almost like new.
(b) The record is pressed on a beautiful, thick, inflexible vinyl, which was usually used for the first or very early pressings. Usually, the sound on such thick vinyl pressings is full-bodied, vivid, and even dramatic. Do not expect to obtain such a majestic analog sound from a digital recording!
(c) The record comes in the original stock inner sleeve.
(d) Mono pressing of this title is much rarer, and by far more preferable to its stereo counterpart. We think that the mix is more natural, humane, "organic" and that the mixes are somewhat different than on the stereo version. We estimate that stereo copies of this album outnumber mono pressings by a ratio of at least 500:1 (no, we are NOT exaggerating).
(e) Of course, this is a full-bodied ANALOG recording, and not an inferior, digital recording!!!
THE COVER IS NICE --- ABOUT EXCELLENT OR VERY GOOD++ (VG++).
The following flaws or imperfections are noted on the cover:
- Cover has some light ring wear (nothing significant); On the scale from 1 to 10 (1 being the least, and 10 being the most severe), we assess the severity of ring wear as 3; Inside gatefold also has some light ring wear
- Cover shows some light yellowing on both sides, apparently from aging.
- Minor shelf wear noted on the seams (nothing significant)
- Cover has a few tiny wrinkles along the spine
- Cover has some fraying/wear along the upper seam
- The gatefold cover has partially split seams on 1 out of 4 "legs" of the cover (about 3 inches / 1 inch = 2.5 centimeters).
- Cover has one corner slightly worn / dinged / bent (nothing significant)
NO OTHER IMPERFECTIONS ON THE COVER:
- No cut-out (drill) holes.
- No cut-out corners
- No saw-marks or indents
- No dirt/dust rubbing stains (friction marks caused by rubbing against other covers)
- No writing
- No stamps
- No tearing: no chips, dents or nicks on the seams
- No peel-off marks
- No stains
- No mold or mildew spots
- No stickers or labels
- No water damage
- No razor marks, scratches, pressure marks, lines, streaks, or cuts.
- No warping
- No wax, glue, paint or liquid drops on the cover
- No glue traces or wax residue.
- No bar codes
- No RIAA stamps or stickers.
POSTAGE & SHIPPING:
We offer THREE postage rates for both Domestic and International Mail: Media Mail, Priority Mail and Express Mail for domestic, and First Class, Priority International Mail, and Express International Mail for international orders. INTERNATIONAL CUSTOMERS PLEASE NOTE: WE RECOMMEND that you pay for USPS International Priority Mail OR International Express mail when making a payment in order to obtain tracking information, which is NOT available for First Class International shipments.
INTERNATIONAL POSTAGE rates vary from country to country. For SPECIFIC international and domestic postage rates ►. While you can be rest assured that ►, please note that damage, loss or theft in transit is always possible, and in the case of some countries even PROBABLE. To discuss this potential problem and ensure flawless delivery, please contact us thru eBay BEFORE placing a bid.
WANT A DISCOUNT ?!?
IT’S EASY: CLICK ► TO see HOW!
(please note recent changes in our policy)
FOR OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION, CLICK ON THE LINKS BELOW:
► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►
OUR REFUND POLICY :
WE OFFER UNCONDITIONAL MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE WITHIN 7 DAYS FROM THE RECEIPT OF THE MERCHANDISE, NO QUESTIONS ASKED (THE BUYER PAYS FOR THE RETURN POSTAGE); Still sealed items MUST be returned sealed in order to be eligible for a refund Some restrictions apply. Please read our complete refund policy before placing a bid. ► for the full text of our policy
© 2001,2007 MDJ. All rights reserved.